Welcome to the Half of the World. There are beautiful and popular mosques in Isfahan. In this article, team of Iran Last Minute Booking System and Tour Operator in Iran has provided in-depth information about Masjid-e Seyyed (Mosque), Friday Mosque of Isfahan and Masjid-e Imam in Isfahan Iran.
Book Isfahan day tour through Iran Last Minute
Friday Mosque of Isfahan, one of the popular mosques in Isfahan
Masjideh Jameh of Isfahan is he best and of most popular mosques in Isfahan. The glorious building of the Masjedeh Jameh or the Friday Mosque of Isfahan stands in the old section of Isfahan in the Sahzeh Mahal-e Quarter. It is one of the most prominent architectural remains of Iran and the world. This building has been constructed and expanded in different periods. At present, it is a perfect prototype of religious architecture of Iran. It shows the process of revolution and evolve of the architecture of Iranian mosques during the Islamic period. According to the book “Mahasen-e Esfahan”, written in 421 AH, the original mosque has been a big building erected in the second century AH. In 226 AH and in the reign of the Abbasid Caliph Mo’tasem this mosque was reconstructed. Abo Ali expanded it in the ruling years of Abbasi Caliph Muqtader. The prayer halls of the mosque were expanded during Al-e Boye era. A doomed space was built in place of part of the old hall in the southern part from 465 to 485 AH, contemporary to the ministry of Khaje Nezam-ol Mulk. Taj-ol Mulk erected another doomed part in the northern end of the mosque in 481 AN. The mosque caught fire in 515 and most parts but the northern and southern dome rooms were badly damaged. Afterwards and until the end of the Seljuk era, the mosque was reconstructed with a four-portico design. The present porticoes, the northern and southern dome rooms, and some of the prayer halls are reminders of that period.
Uljayto Prayer Niche
Mihrab-e Oljayto Prayer Niche is one masterpiece of the Mongol era considering its stucco decorations. figures. and beautiful calligraphy. This beautiful prayer niche is in the Oljayto prayer hail, which is in the northern side of the western portico. According to its stucco inscription, this prayer niche was made in 710 Ali: contemporary to Oljayto and his prime minister, Mohammad Savi. The founder of the niche is Azd Ibn All Mastari. Oljayto Mihrab is a masterwork of stucco decorations of Iran. It is skillfully decorated with beautiful inscriptions. various floral figures, and false capitals. It is 3.5 by 5.5 meters and bears original composition of geometrical, floral. and calligraphic figures of highest delicacy and beauty. It is decorated with seven different hand writings in seven distinct spaces. The prayer hall of this niche belongs to the Mozaffari period. According to the present inscription. this prayer niche has been added later. This hall has several beautiful brick columns and arches. In spite of the date of the inscription — 710 AH — there are some evidences, such as the fact that this hall is not mentioned in the inscription. this prayer hall must belong to the Mozaffari era. Another evidence is that the remaining parts of the hall. the part that bears the niche, had had some figures and decorations of the Ilkhanid period. These decorations have been removed in the following changes. In addition, the architecture of the hall is simple and is made of brick, while the prayer niche and the part around it has had a thick layer of plaster and beautiful decorations.
Beit-o Sheta or the winter prayer hall of the Friday Mosque of Isfahan is a large building that is on the western side of the Friday Mosque and behind the western portico. It is a 2.5 b) 50 meters building. This mosque is believed to be originally constructed in 851 AH; the ruling period of Sultan Mohammad Bahador, the son of Baysanqar Teymori. Emad Ibn MuzalTar Varzaneh is thought to be the founder of this building. The winter hall has 18 domes each composed of four intersecting arches. They are put on ten thick central bases. thick side piers, and the wall. There is a thin piece of marble between each arch that supplies the hall with light. This hall has several entrances on the south, east, and west. The portal is blocked and the historical inscription of the hall is in a blind arcade in the western side of the courtyard adjacent to the western portico. The portal has exquisite mosaic tile works that has been repaired in 1949. The inscription is in suls handwriting and in white color. The name of king, Sultan Mohammad Bahador, is in ocher on a blue background. Different dates have been mentioned for this building by researchers. Some attributed it to the Timurid era because of the wideness of the hall and the ornamental arch of the southern entrance. Some others believe that the style of construction, such as making them hollow and massive, and the red plaster plinths are characteristics of the Safavid architecture.
Masjid-e Imam in Isfahan Iran
Iran Last Minute Booking System and Tour Operator in Iran has tried very hard to present not only the best and the most various Iran Tours, Iran tour packages, experienced Iran tour guides as well the best places to visit in Iran.
Masjid-e Imam is one of the undeniably best sights in Isfahan, Iran. Masjid-e Imam or Jame’e Abbas’, previously called Masjid-e Shah, is in the southernmost end of the historical square of Naqsh-e Jahan. It is one of prominent masterpieces of the Safavid era. The construction of the mosque began in 1020 AH by order of Abbas 1. The portal of the mosque and its tile decorations finished when other parts were only at foundation phase. The decoration project of the mosque continued after the death of Abbas I in 1038 AH. The Imam Mosque is a four-portico building erected in a 12264-square meter ground. It consists of a central courtyard, four porticoes, porches and spaces on the sides of the porticoes, dome room, prayer hall. portal, forecourt, and many other decorations in mosaic and polychrometics. Masters such as Ali Reza Abbasi, Abdolbaqi Tabrizi, Muhammadreza Emami,and Muhammad Saleh Emami have done the inscriptions of this complex. The pentagonal fore-court has an octagonal basin in the middle. Two lofty minarets decorated with tiles are on the sides of the forecourt. minarets are 42 meters high and 2.8 meters wide. They have spiral stairs leading to the room above the minarets used for call for prayers. The portal is in the middle of the forecourt with two symmetrical chambers on both sides. This portal is decorated with colorful tiles with figures of plants, birds, and tiled vaults of various figures. The Suleimaniye Seminary lies in the southwestern corner of the mosque. It belongs to the Abbas I period but since it has been completed in the ruling years of Shah Suleiman (1078 AH), it has been called as Madrese-ye Suleimani-ye. This seminary has a rectangular design and has many rooms of different sizes round the courtyard. The rooms in the middle of the southern and northern sides are bigger than the others are. The rooms in these parts are connected in the back. Three rooms eastern side lead to the columnar hall of the Imam Mosque.
The plinths of the seminary are covered with marble in the lower part and the upper parts are faced with tiles. The portal of the school opens into an alley behind the Imam Mosque. It bears an inscription in white Suls handwriting done by Muhammad Reza Emami. It has the date 1078 AH. There is another seminary in the south-east of the Masjid-e Imam complex that is known as Madrese-ye Abbasi or Madrese-ye Naseri. It belongs to the Abbas I period. This building has been reconstructed in the reign of Naseraddin Shah Qajar, hence called Nasery Seminary. According to available inscriptions, the decorations and building of this seminary has been completed in the ruling years of Abbas II. This building has a 65 by 60 meters square design with many rooms and chambers round its broad courtyard. There are 9 chambers with porticoes in the eastern side. The northern and southern sides have some rooms. The rooms on the northern side lead to the eastern portico and to more to the dome room of the mosque through portals. Some portals connect western rooms to the columnal prayer hall of the mosque. The middle arches of the northern and southern sides of the seminary, like those of Suleimani-ye Seminary, are higher and bigger than other sides are. The inscriptions of the southern porticoes are done by Muhammad Reza Emami on tiles and bear the date 1077 All.
Tile Decorations of the Masjid-e Imam Mosque — Isfahan
Tile decorations of the Masjid-e Imam Mosque complex began in the reigning years of Abbas I and was gradually completed by his successors. It is an excellent specimen of Islamic decoration. Mosaic tile-works, poly chrome ceramics, and beautiful vaults of the portal are among the finest masterworks of the tile decorations of the Safavid era. The most beautiful part is the dome room of the mosque. The giant and lofty copula, which is a two-layered one, covers the 22.5 by 22.5 meters dome room below. Whole pans of this space are faced with poly chrome tiles. An overall inscription in Suls handwriting on a blue tile background runs below the dome. This inscription is done by Abdolbaqi Tabrizi. A tiled prayer niche is in the southern side of the dome room. It bears an inscription by Muhammad Saleh Esfehani. There is a marble pulpit beside this niche with 14 steps. It is made with great skill and delicacy. A one-meter deep prayer niche is in the south of the dome room-the direction of Mecca. Like the 40-column space in the east of the dome room, there is another prayer niche in the western space. The mosque has 11 prayer niches.